(Pictured: The Martin Truex Jr. Walking Clam Nacho)
NASCAR fans can try Delaware-themed food selections ranging from scrapple to crab cakes as part of Dover International Speedway’s 50th Anniversary celebrations.
As part of a collaboration with SoDel Concepts, a restaurant group based in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, the Monster Mile designed a special concession menu featuring many First State favorites.
The offerings are presented in collaboration with Delaware on Tap, the Delaware Tourism Office’s smartphone application guide to the state’s craft beverage makers. The free download from the App Store and Google Play connects more than 30 breweries, wineries, distilleries, meaderies and cideries, features information on events, tours and transportation, and offers a free prize to users who visit 10 sites.
Four Delaware breweries will also bring two distinctive flavors each to The Hangout, presented by Delaware on Tap, near the FanZone and Monster Monument at Victory Plaza on Saturday, Oct. 5 and Sunday, Oct. 6. The breweries and offerings include:
- Fordham/Dominion: (Spiced Harvest, Zombee Honey Brown Ale)
- Blue Earl: (Honeysuckle Rose, Hazy at Heart)
- Big Oyster: (Hammerhead, Shuckin Pumpkin)
- Mispillion: (War Badger, Pineapple Express)
Each draft will be $1 off on Sunday, Oct. 6 while brewers are on site from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The Hangout, presented by Delaware on Tap, will also feature a full bar along with two signature cocktails: the “High Groove” and the “Splitter.” The Hangout opens at 9 a.m. on Oct. 5-6 and closes with 50 laps remaining during each day’s race.
The Delaware-themed selections, available in a centralized location outside the track’s frontstretch grandstand, will include:
- Delaware Destroyer: Waffle-cut fries, crab béchamel, white cheddar, scallions, bacon and Old Bay seasoning
- Fried Softshell Sandwich: Buttermilk flash fried softshell crab, arugula, corn relish, tartar and a potato roll
- Jimmie Jam: Hand-crafted griddled scrapple, foot long hot dog, fresh lobster and apple slaw
- Miles Stop ‘N Go Pork Rinds: Bag of flash fried pork rinds with nacho cheese spice
- Monster Mile Street Fries: Waffle-cut fries, chorizo sloppy joe, pico de gallo, cotija, lime mayo, cilantro, and crushed Doritos
- Pit Stop Southern Boiled Peanuts: Southern shrimp boil peanuts, creole spices
- Slingshot Scrapple Grilled Cheese: Scrapple, American cheese, fried egg and white bread
- Sticky Icky Fried Rice Bowl: Four-time award winning fried chicken morsels, shaved vegetables, fried egg and special sauce.
- The Ricky Bobby: Shake and bake fried chicken, hand-blended dry seasonings, cole slaw, buttermilk aioli and potato roll.
- Turn 1 Delaware Half Smoke: Pork and beef link, sauerkraut and beer mustard
Delaware-based restaurants, food trucks, tents and concession stands will also be on hand throughout the weekend, including:
- Zogg’s Sea Hogg food truck: Featuring tacos, cabbage wraps, po boys, mac and cheese and more
- Top Five BBQ Bakery food truck: Traditional barbecue favorites, including pulled chicken nachos and brisket
- Wildwich food truck: Offers a variety of hot and cold sandwiches, salads, soups and sides
- Sherri’s Crab Cakes: More than 1 million crab cakes sold, made with lump and jumbo lump crab meat along with special spices
- Bunting’s Popcorn: Offers kettle corn, movie popcorn, pretzel dogs and cotton candy
- Frankie’s Monster Mile Café: Dover Downs mobile restaurant will have its many Italian treats, along with two bar and seating options, available in Victory Plaza
- Grotto Pizza: A favorite at the Delaware beaches and beyond
- Rita’s Water Ice: Terrific treat for sunny days in the grandstands
Maryland-based vendors include:
- Smoke, Rattle & Roll (Centreville, Md.): Offers tacos, nachos, mac and cheese and BBQ sandwiches with topping options of chicken, pork or brisket
- Kona Ice of Bel Air (Street, Md.): Top flavors include lucky lime, island rush and monster mango